[TowerTalk] Cable TV - Ingress/Egress - & Management

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cable TV - Ingress/Egress - & Management
From: edk5of@dc.jones.com (Charles "Ed" Pitts)
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 15:06:08 -0500
Hi all, let me please clear up what appears to be a little confusion.  My
previous msg. addressed the problem of line noise generated by the power co.
located here in VA.  I had success only after mentioning in "off the cuff"
remarks to the supv. in charge that the FCC liked to see clean systems.  Clean
systems are required both in the power related field and as Dale and Joe point
out in the cable tv field.  Now in reference to the cable tv problems and its
relation to ham radio again I was successful with my local Cable TV Co. in
solving "leakage" problems which can create havoc with your neighbors tv set if
not corrected.  I can't operate hi-power here without 1-2 months of planning
for a 24-48 contest without first checking with neighbors on qrm to their tv's
and working with cable tv folks to come out and correct leakage problems in
neighborhood.  Once that is all done I can usually make an attempt at
hi-power!  If there is a major football game on, etc. and if problems occur I
've worked it out where I may cut back to low power but fortunately that hasn't
happened yet as my homework with the cable tv co. prior to any test has paid
off.  Also Joe is correct that cable tv is very much worried about FAA action
on their sigs leaking!  So they will work with you if you drop these subtle
hints about FCC/FAA compliance (most of the time).  Moral of the story I guess
is to do your homework on locating/tracking down problems and getting to know
the people on a professional and possibly first name basis with whom you will
have to work with in order to solve the problems.  Along with those little "off
the cuff" remarks about compliance! hi! Happy New Year everybody and 73!
"Ed"=K5OF