[TowerTalk] Thanks All!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thanks All!
From: crippel@exis.net (Chuck Rippel)
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 20:08:16 +0500
Thank you everyone for your taking the time to respond to my post.

The consensus is to put up a TH-11 on another tower.  While I have
never been a fan of Hy-Gain antennas due largely to their small
diameter 2" booms which don't seem to last through our winds, that
may be an idea.

RE: My waterpipe....  I have had that piece of waterpipe since I was
a young ham at 18.  I am now 43.  It has held up everything from a
4 EL wide spaced tri-band quad to a KT-34 through no less than 5
hurricanes.

With memories of pictures of bent masts in my mind, I agree
with not stacking antennas on it.  However, I am not troubled by the
current configuration.

Remember, fully 1/2 of the pipe is down inside the tower as the rotor
is at the 90' level.  The antenna boom to mast coupler is mounted
about 1" above the thrust bearing.  While water pipe does bend, it
does not twist.

If the pipe were to bend over due to high winds, based on its
existing track record, the antenna/mast/tower would be the very least
of my worries.....

Again, 73 and thanks to all!
Chuck Rippel, WA4HHG