[TowerTalk] Tower Lubrication

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Lubrication
From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 21:02:27 -0500 (EST)
I agree on the many good effects of Vaseline.  Works on baby's butt;  will
work on tower cables.  Feels good to the touch.
About mosture/water penetration:  In my experience, water or water vapor
which later becomes liquid, will enter just about anything the ham radio
level of engineering takes part in.  That is, water WILL be inside your
buried but sealed up conduit or pipe (for cable runs), WILL be inside your
capped beam elements and booms, WILL be in your tower legs and mast pipes
despite "sealing,"  etc etc.  Better to plan for the controlled exit of
water than to try next to impossible keeping it out (maybe coax plug
joints are the sole exception).  K4VUD