[TowerTalk] HY-GAIN 18HT HIGH TOWER & CTSVR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HY-GAIN 18HT HIGH TOWER & CTSVR
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 20:19:44 +0800
Hi Jim.

First a little about the antennas here. On 80 I have a dipole up about 80
feet in a tree, On 40, phased verticals and on 160 an inverted L in a
tree about 70 feet vertical and rest horizontal to another tree.
A friend of mine here in town bought the CTSVR and installed it before
the CQWW DX test.  We were doing some comparisons by calling the same
stations, and I could beat him out, handily, everytime we called someone.
He had to call and call and usually I could work the station on 2 or 3
calls on 160, 80 and 40. He runs 1500 watts to a Ten-Tec Titan and I run
about 500 watts on 40 and 80 with a FL-2100B, and barefoot on 160 about
100 watts. I wasn't very impressed with the CTSVR at all. It seems like
alot of money for the performance you get out of it. On the other hand,
used to have a friend in Lakeview OR, KS7G, and he had a hy-tower on 80
and it was a killer antenna for DX. He was right up there with the big
boys. I think if I had to go to a single antenna for low bands, it would
be the Hy-Tower. 73 and GL
Tom W7WHY