[TowerTalk] Crank-up tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-up tower
From: jbarry@imbolc.ucc.ie (John Barry EI7DNB)
Date: 11 Jan 1998 21:00:50 -0800
Hi,

I'm about to start a tower building project for a friend of mine. I
have built a couple of different types before, and I'm in the engineering
business already but would like some feedback from the reflector on
what design of tower would be best.

It will need to be a crank-up tower, maybe 4 25ft sections which would
give an overall height of around 75/80 ft. and strong enough
to support a TH-11 antenna, with maybe some VHF antennas above it.

Is there anywhere I can go for help/ideas on the design?
Is there any published designs for crank-up towers?
Would square sections be stronger than triangluar sections?

Many thanks

John

John Barry EI7DNB