[TowerTalk] Rotators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotators
From: seay@ALASKA.NET (Del Seay)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 06:22:29 -0900
For those of you contemplating a new rotator, I would like
to pass on this tidbit.

A couple of years ago, I picked up a Yeasu Rotator (the 800 model)
to turn a small antenna. It looked good on the brochures, so I thought
I would give it a shot.

It worked well until last week when the indicator quit. I disassembled the
control unit - which is not easy - and was amazed at what I found.

The problem was a broken "rubber-band". actually it is a small rubber
drive belt from the selsyn to the gear train. As luck would have it, you
have to disassemble the drive train because the belt is on the farthest
back set of pulleys.

The gears in the unit are slightly inferior to gears you would find in
a Tonka Toy, very weak and small plastic.

The Yeasu rotator does have a great method of centering the mast and
is easy to install - so these comments aren't totally negative. But, for
those wishing for a good quality device for turning that aluminum - look
inside before you buy.
de KL7HF