[TowerTalk] Rotors: Yaesu vis Hy-Gain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotors: Yaesu vis Hy-Gain
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:02:59 EST
In a message dated 98-01-23 06:02:37 EST, tleaf@hotmail.com writes:

> Del KL7HF, has started a discussion with the failure in his Yaesu
>  control box.

     First of all, control box failures are pretty rare. It's much more common
for the rotator to crunch - usually gears and brakes.

>  I have my eye on the Yaesu G-800S, because I like the compass dial.

    Also the preset control of the Yaesu is very nifty.

>  Both are priced about the same, but Yaesu claims a higher wind load
>  rating and has control cable jacks.

      Going by wind load capacity isn't the best thing to look at - you really
need to consider the  Effective Moment (weight x turning radius) which is a
better measure of the rotator's capabilities. The G-800 has an EM of 1,299 ft-
lbs while the CD 45 II has 1,200 ft-lbs so they are about the same.

      Service and parts availability are things that're important to me and
here the Hy-Gain wins by a landslide.

      If you're considering a VHF/UHF array, the CD 45 is fine or for a small
tribander. Personally I wouldn't put up anything smaller than a Ham IV which
has a real brake in it.

    If you're interested, I have a reprint of my 3-part series on rotators
(Everything You Wanted To Know) that appeared in my CQ Contest column, Up The
Tower. It's a buck from TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

73 and GL, Steve  K7LXC