[TowerTalk] Cinch Jones Disappearing Forever???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cinch Jones Disappearing Forever???
From: N0OEL@aol.com (N0OEL)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 22:08:21 EST
I was shocked to learn this week that my old reliable connectors, the Cinch
Jones
connecotrs, are getting hard to find.   My local electronic parts store was
out
(they have doubled the price in recent years to $5.50 for a eight pin cable
mount)
and even they were out at those prices!   Why?  They are the only places in
Minneapolis that stocks them!   Radio Shack  has stoped stocking their Jones
plugs copys too!   Just one store in our 2.5 million population stocks them!
I guess Molex and other high tech connectors have taken their place.

I am in the middle of a rotor replacement and have been using the Cinch Jones
plugs with heavy taping for some time and have been happy with the utility of
the
eight pin C-J male and female connectors.   No, they may not be as well
weather
proofed as suggested by other types listed on Tower Talk but they work!   Now
they
are tough to find.    I also use them on all my mobile UHF/VHF radios (4-pin)
and its too late and labor intenstive to switch.

I finally found what I needed at Digi Key in Theif River Falls, Mn (number
listed by
friend W8GAZ on another memo on Tower Talk today).   Is the Cinch Jones
plug going the way of the Hallicrafters, the Hornet Beam and the Edsel?
Were are we headed fellow hams?    Stock up on the Cinch Jones connectors
while you can gang!!!!    They are great in the shack too!

73
Mike
K0BUD