[TowerTalk] Connector for Rotor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connector for Rotor
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:54:09 -0600
As soon as I can read it all and compile it, I will post a
summary of the responses I have received from so many people
about whether to install or not install the C.A.T.S. rotor
connector.

There's a lot of pros and cons to the subject.  In my normal
wishy-washy way, I am going to compromise and put a 1' or 2'
piece of cable on the rotor, attaching the it at the terminal
block, with an inline connector on the other end.  This way, I
don't have to open up the rotor. If it should have to come down
for service sometime in the future, I will still have the mounted
connector and can install it then--I hate like heck to open up
the rotor in it's pristine state (at least, that's how I picture
the innards since it's arrival from Telex this week.).

The other day, I walking through the parts aisles in the local
electronic's parts outlet with my hands full of DB connectors, a
data switch box, and some other small parts. I noticed a newly
installed parts rack containing AMP black plastic (?) connectors,
AMP Molex-like white nylon (?) connectors and Cinch-Jones
connectors.  I quickly eyeballed the AMP black connector
packages--they looked an awful lot like the C.A.T.S. provided
connectors.  I moved on to the checkout counter with the intent
to come back soon with the C.A.T.S. connectors and check them
out.

Today, I did just that.  Identical.  A dozen or more 9-pin male
and female connectors.  Even packages containing male and female
connector sets, with backshells.  It'll cost about $22 for the
whole shooting match: male/female connector set ($12.50); male
and female connector pins ($4.30 for each gender).  Later, I'll
buy another set and install it at the rotor controller.

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u