[TowerTalk] US Tower -- Pully Replacement?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower -- Pully Replacement?
From: lburke@wt.net (Larry Burke)
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:08:39 -0600
Just got through putting new cables on my US Tower crankup. Also changed out
the winch. Over time, the tower had gotten harder and harder to crank up
(even hard to crank down). The winch was getting weather beaten, so changed
it out for good measure. (It had also gotten banged in a move). It seems
easier to crank up now, but not as easy as I remember from several years ago
(I DID age a bit since I first got it... don't suppose that has anything to
do with it!). Now I am beginning to wonder... should I have changed out the
pulleys also? Do these need lubricating on the inner area where I assume
there is a bearing of some kind (taking care to keep oil off the outter race
where the cable comes in contact)?

Larry WI5A
Friendswood, TX