[TowerTalk] The Balun Blues

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The Balun Blues
From: grimm@lynchburg.net (Kenneth D. Grimm)
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 23:42:01 -0500

UpTheTower@aol.com wrote:

<a bunch of stuff snipped>

> So, can anybody recommend a good current balun to use with the 402CD,
> or is one even needed?  Why can't I just follow the directions in the
> manual and make a coil of coax?
>
> I have NEVER used a balun of any type here before this W2DU, and I'm
> batting 0 for 1.  Advice appreciated.  I'd like to put the thing back
> up next weekend.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> 73 - Dave N3RD
> n3rd@ix.netcom.com
> http://www.QTH.com/topten

 I've burned up BN-86s and had problems with the W2DU type baluns.  Come to
think of it,
over the years, baluns have been a dependable source of problems!  I've finally
given up
and gone back to what I used to use and what you are wondering about:  a  choke
made of
several turns of coax.  I've never had any problems with that simple and
effective
device.  Why do we keep buying baluns?

Ken K4XL
grimm@lynchburg.net