[TowerTalk] Rohn 20G/25G again

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 20G/25G again
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 00:47:19 -0800 (PST)
>Need some help now.....went out and counted all the sections still on
>the ground and found
>2 sections that have 8 rungs but weigh the same as the 20G.  Is there or
>has there been a
>company that makes/made Rohn look alikes?  These are a dead ringer for
>25G but not made near as sturdy as the Rohn.
>
>N6UGH   Jim

There have been at least two or three copies of Rohn tower made.  All I have
seen are very inferior in at least one or more ways.  The basic problem here
is that neither Rohn nor any of the copies have any identifying marks on
them to help you know who made it.  Like counterfeit money, a good copy
could skate right through without notice.  The bogus tower I saw did not
have swaged legs and would not mate with Rohn 25 directly.  Instead, it had
small lengths of channel iron welded to the bottom of each leg that
overlapped the section below it and was fastened to it with two bolts per
leg.  The sections were not constructed exactly like each other and it was a
real chore to find sections that would mate properly.  I helped a guy unload
some of this stuff (for $20 per section as I recall) and the buyer finally
just turned it into scrap metal in frustration.  The leg tubing looked a lot
like small diameter water pipe but I never actually measured it or had the
metal tested to see if it was a decent alloy or not.  Probably wasn't.

Buyer beware . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com