[TowerTalk] Mosley antennas - Warning: Strong Language

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mosley antennas - Warning: Strong Language
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (k4ro@k4ro.net)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:46:35 -0600 (CST)
>      The height difference of 30 feet on ten meters is significant...

I'm convinced that the *terrain* differences are far more significant
than the 30' height difference.  As a result, any antenna comparison
is probably very questionable.  So, never mind... :-|

On the other hand, the fact remains that I'm still reasonably competitive
against others in my area who are using (supposedly) far better antennas.
I am taking into account the operator skill level here as well, with
a good margin for error.

If you and Lew McCoy are right about Mosley antennas having negative
gain, then y'all had better *WATCH OUT* when I put up some "real"
antennas.  Supposedly, I'll then have a *huge* advantage over all of
my local competition from this location, since they are already using
decent antennas.  Good news for me, but not sure if I buy it.  Now if
someone wants to send me a C3-XL to test, I promise a full report. :-)

> That's why we are going to all this work so that we can present
> some REAL on-the-air data.

Surely we all anticipate the results with bated breath.  I still think
there's way too much myth and hype in antenna advertising.  I am simply
demonstrating that there are cases of contesters using Mosley antennas
with some degreee of success.  Based on the responses I've received,
several folks are fretting a lot, worrying about tearing down their
antenna installations, and preparing to spend a bunch of money.  Good
news for those in the antenna business.  Perhaps not so good for the
amateurs lost in a sea of confusion.  I'm just trying to provide some
balance.  Looking forward to reading the "across the bay" measurements.
Maybe there will be some useful data to help me choose my next antenna
installation.  Meanwhile, I look forward to learning more from the
collective wisdom and experience.

-Kirk  K4RO