[TowerTalk] Comments on Antenna Peformance--reply

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Comments on Antenna Peformance--reply
From: larsenp@cadvision.com (Peter Larsen)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 22:52:22 +0000

> Are you contributing your better performace to the increased hight of
> you antenna?
> 73, Aloha
> Ted Leaf, K6HI

To some extent yes, but not all. Let's see now, a Heil HC-4 vs
a Kenwood stock mic. Tall tower on a hill side vs a shorter
tower in the trees. One of the best (if not the best) RF sites
in Calgary (this from a lot of HF mobile work in town). Angle of
radiation (the contact was on 20 meters, the station was VE4RAC)
A harsh raspy voice (mine) vs a deep mellow voice (his).

It all works out I got the QSO before my friend.

One aside to the gent who questioned my friends antenna...
About 10 of the locals were working an 8R1. I had arranged
the sced and was the "Net Control" Of all 10 there was only
two 59 reports, Mine (i was running 1 KW) and my friend's (he
was running 100 watts). The rest went from 44 (a G5RV) to
58 (another 3 elem tri-bander).
IMO location and height is EVERY THING. (OK a good beam sure
helps... Help Steve!!)

73 es have fun
Peter
VE6NAO/CH8MNP