[TowerTalk] Relative merits

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Relative merits
From: Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com (Chad Kurszewski WE9V)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:20:34 -0600
At 12:50 PM 2/26/98 -0600, Scott Shue wrote:
>I'm in the process of installing (it's laying on the ground in sections
>60 feet of Rohn 25G

>I've been told that with no more than I am putting up, that this tower
>would be self supporting. True or false??

FALSE!!!!!!  Don't even thing about it!

Speaking in rough numbers, Rohn 25 will hardly handle 70 MPH winds
at 40' self supporting, with ZERO antennas.

With any antennas at all, it would fold over.

At 60' in 70 MPH winds, you are roughly over TWICE the design limit of
moment on the tower with no antennas.  Even Rohn 45 cannot handle this.
And Rohn is about twice as conservative as what I said.

---
Chad Kurszewski, WE9V         e-mail:  Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com
The Official "Sultans of Shwing" Web Site:  http://www.QTH.com/sos