[TowerTalk] Decision....Orion 2800 vs Create RC5B-3....

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Decision....Orion 2800 vs Create RC5B-3....
From: N7TR@rnodx.org (Rich Hallman N7TR)
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 02:22:16 -0800
  Thanks to all who replied to my question on what was the better rotor to
buy.....

   First choice was the K6NA Prop Pitch rotors.....But since they will not fit
into the Rohn 25, I have to pass on that till I get the Rohn 45 up.

   Second was the M2 Orion 2800P.   Many replied on this rotor that they have
had no problems with this system.   Others liked the M2 customer service they
got when they had questions and that the 2800P has gone through several
redesigns and is better then ever.   Nobody stated that they ever had a problem
with them.  Also fits in Rohn 25 and the standard Bolt pattern of the Rohn
Rotor plates.

   Last was the Create Rotor.   I have several local guys who used the Create
series rotors.  One guy had several up at once and over the years they had
problems....Mast Clamps breaking, Stripped out mounting bolts, and shattered
housings.   Most of these turning a single KLM 20 meter Big Stick or a 4 Ele
KLM 40.   Just a few weeks ago another local who bought a create was turning a
6 ele 20.....It also suffered a shattered housing in mild winds.  He now just
purchased an Orion.   A few stated that several years ago these rotors were
priced at $650...Now at over $1200 they werent the deal they used to be.
Several stated that they also never had any problems with their Create RC5B-3
turning the same stack I currently have...(TH7 and 2 Ele 40 10 feet above).
Several stated they also thought there was an upgrade you could buy for the
mast clamps for the Create.  New Steel ones that wouldn't crack like the stock
aluminum ones would.   My feelings are after paying $1200 for a new !
Rotor,  I shouldnt need to buy upgrades right away....

   Price's were about the same for the two rotors....Texas Towers has the Orion
for $1095 (Web Page Price) and the Create is about $1250 from Edco.  So far
Texas Towers had the best price and Ill be placing an order for the Orion 2800P
next week.

    Hope this has helped anyone out who maybe looking at buying a new rotor.
Thanks again for all the input and comments on this subject....

         73  Rich  N7TR

    Richard Hallman  N7TR            N7TR@RNODX.ORG
    11870 Heartpine St
    Reno NV  89506                      EX: KI3V, HL9RH
    702 677-1106                                A92FN, N3AMK