[TowerTalk] Masting for Tennadtyne T-8

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Masting for Tennadtyne T-8
From: wmal@taconic.net (Bill)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 14:18:31 -0500
G' Afternoon to All:

First thing to mention... I've been subscribed to this list for abt 3
weeks and find the experience and the depth of knowledge on
towers/antennas/etc. remarkable.

Compared to some of the projects underway by the subscribers here, this
question will hopefully be simple to answer. Next month I plan to put up
a Tennadyne T-8 (18' boom,7.8sq ft.,37#)log atop a 50' Rohn 25 guyed
tower. I plan to guy the Rohn at 23' and 45' (per rohn spec.) and turn
the antenna with a Yeasu g-1000 rotor. Also planning to use two shelves
in the tower, one for the t-3 thrust bearing and the other for the
rotor(I know I may be rambling a bit here, but open to comments on the
overall system, as it's my first tower/directional antenna project). My
intentions are to place the T-8 a foot or two above the top of the tower
with nothing else above it. I think I'm in good shape so far....but what
abt the mast? What type of material and wall thickness. I've heard
suggestions from 1/2" walled aluminum (more expensive than tower!) to
radio shack masting (NOT). There seems to be a lot of ground between
those two ideas. I'm guessing there must be some rule of thumb to this.
Any suggestions on either the mast or overall installation would be
greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know of a reflecter/mailing list for the Icom 756?
Have done the search engine bit and can't fine anything.

And lastly, what's the general concensus on Ameritron's RCS-8V remote
switch. A headache waiting to happen or reasonably reliable?

Thanx in advance for your time.

Bill AF1S