[TowerTalk] Yagi alignment

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi alignment
From: Jleikhim@nettally.com (Leikhim, Joe)
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 01:11:03 -0500
Sergio;

Here are some things to consider;

1. You have a path loss of 110 dB at 2.4 GHZ.

2. Your system gain is 94 dB (+14 dBm Tx PO, -80 dBm RX sens)

3. You need at least 16 dB antena gain to make up that difference, you
would be very lucky to have that kind of gain with two 7 element
antennas. Two tens might just make it. You should consider a dish
antenna.

Other considerations:

4. Is the path unobstructed? Any obstacle near the path could cause a
reflection.

5. Does the link work properly when all the equipment is within a
reasonable distance, say 100 feet? To preclude problems unrelated to the
path.

6. What type of transmission line and what is the length of thea cables?
I assume you are using proper RF connectors?

7. Power lines should not be a problem especially with vertical
polarization.

8. Antennas should be boresighted to each other. A small laser can be
helpful to orient the antenna's, do this at night. Be careful not to
blind your helper.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT (EX KE4TZH)
Jleikhim@nettally.com

"tv dinner by the pool,
i'm so glad i finished school" -F.Zappa 1967