[TowerTalk] Side-arms & self-supporting towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Side-arms & self-supporting towers
From: leewells@lexmark.com (leewells@lexmark.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:29:24 -0500
I'm planning this summers antenna projects now, and I'm thinking about side
mounting a 10m monobander (probably a Force-12 EF-610).

What I've got:
   Trylon 72ft self supporting tower with Force 12 antennas on top.
      EF-420/240 @ 73 ft
      EF-515 @ 85 ft

The problem:
   I've seen adds for pre-made rotating side arms (swinging gate) from places
like IIX, but these all seem to be for rohn type towers.  Has anyone
ever put one on a tower that tappers as it goes up?????  Is it just as simple
as spacing the top support out, so that the arm rotates in a perfectly
horizontal plane?  I'd like to mount it at about 50ft, and I think the tower
is about 2ft across a face at that point.

Also, what measurements do I need to consider.  After a couple thought
experiments I think that the side arm needs to be just slightly longer than
the tower face, and that the distance between elements needs to be a little
over 2 times the tower face??  Is this right?  Is there anything else I need
to look at?

What about rotors??  I'm using a T2X now for the top antennas, and I would
probably use the same with the side-arm if it will work.  That would give me
some sort of back-up if the top one ever failed.  Is there a good way
to prevent over-rotation.  I wouldn't want to bang the arm against the tower.

Are there other options to look at???  I didn't figure a TIC ring rotor would
fit on a tower this large.

Any ideas, commments, suggestions & experiences are appreciated.

Thanks & 73's
--Lee - KT4ZX
Georgetown, KY

leewells@lexmark.com