[TowerTalk] Best low tower and 10-40 m

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best low tower and 10-40 m
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 17:25:39 EST
In a message dated 98-03-11 15:30:28 EST, kk7gw@hotmail.com writes:

<<  I'm looking at a US Tower 40 or 48 foot free-standing tower, and
 then either a tribander and a separate 40 beam, or a 10-40 beam like the
 C4 or something.  I have about $1200-1300 to spend on the tower, the
 antennas, and the rotators, so I can't go out and get really expensive
 stuff.  Any suggestions for someone who knows almost nothing about
 towers and rotatable antennas?   >>

     But of course! (Spoken in crummy French accent.)

     Yes, you can do it but you need to get creative. Get a used A3 or similar
small tribander. Get a used rotator. Install a roof-mounted tower - they're
great. Get the word out locally that you're looking for this stuff. Put an ad
in your local ham club newsletters. Find an Elmer or something that would be
willing to help out an enthusiastic young guy. Here in the PNW, there is a
swap-and-shop net on 3915 at 1100 on Sunday mornings. You can list "wants" on
there. Get on there and beg for stuff. Maybe somebody's got something laying
around they'll donate or give you a deal on. Go to the local ham flea market
and deal.

      You might want to read my paper "Building A One Tower Station". An SASE
to TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072, will get you a free copy.

     Weren't you at the WWDXC meeting last night? Give me a call - I've got
coax and rotor cable that I'll donate to the cause. Want to buy a Mosley
cheap? Got them too.

73 and GL,  Steve  K7LXC