[TowerTalk] GUYING and trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GUYING and trees
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:42:36
At 06:26 PM 3/12/98 EST, Fred Hopengarten wrote:

>If you can withstand a financial loss equal to your re-installation
>costs, about once every so often (a number related  to the odds of
>suffering a disaster, a number like once every 10, 15 or 20 years), then
>you too should self-insure.  However, if you are unable to do the
>re-installation yourself, a process which might cost you $2-20,000 if
>done by a professional (a professional such as K7LXC or KC1XX), and you
>might not be able to afford that cost, then you should be checking out
>insurance coverage right now.  In other words, your mileage may vary.
>However, speaking generally, insurance is neither good nor bad -- the
>real question is whether or not it is appropriate for YOU.

>If you are in
>a different situation, you should be talking to your insurance agent. He
>or she is not an evil person.

Amen.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my tower and antennas are
covered for all the usual hazards, including wind, ice, etc.  up to the
outbuilding cost limit of my homeowner's policy, with no special
provisions.  Now this was State Farm, and in West Virginia, so your mileage
may vary, and of course there's a deductible, but it sure is nice to know
it's there in case something truly catastrophic happens.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"