[TowerTalk] Drake MN-2000

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Drake MN-2000
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 07:29:40 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Gian Luca Salvia wrote:

> Hi all,
> I was wondering if is available a mod for the MN-2000 tuner, to add 160
> meters on.
> Thanks and 73's
>
> Luca IC8WIC

In general, it is usually not good practice to simply modify an 80-10
meter coupler for 160 meter operation (unless one wishes to replace
everything inside and make a true 160 meter tuner).

Although some additional capacitance may allow some sort of match on 160,
it often turns out to be a very lossy match.  Low loss matching with
network tuners (and link-coupled tuners as well) normally requires that
the values of available capacitance and inductance be twice what one
needs for 80 meters, while maintaining component Q throughout.  While not
impossible (for I would never sell amateur ingenuity short), this is
exceptionally difficult to obtain.

Therefore, I tend to recommend that for 160, one build an ATU from
scratch, with attention to having switchable/variable settings that permit
low loss matches across the entire band.

At my web site are some notes on link coupled tuners, part 5 of which
provides some recommended component sizes for each ham band.  While not
exact, these values translate roughly into what is needed for a PI network
tuner, and extrapolations from there to other network designs are possible
in order to get a rough handle on the component size problem/challenge.
More exact network calculations are, of course, possible.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu