[TowerTalk] pier point vs section in concrete

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] pier point vs section in concrete
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 01:30:55 -0800 (PST)
>What are the pros and cons of using a pier point bottom instead of burying a 5'
>tower section in concrete?  Thanks, Pete

Hi Pete,

One of the obvious advantages of burying the tower section in concrete is
that it will hold itself vertical for a few sections after the concrete has
cured.  This is easier than having to use temporary guys which you must do
on the very first section if you use a pier pin.

The tower base is free to rotate on the pier pin rather than being held
firmly by a block of concrete in the ground.  I have never known of any
problems caused by having the bottom section of the tower held firmly in
concrete.  I don't use any pier pins on any of my towers which have been up
since the mid 70s.  Also, I am a Rohn dealer and have sold several dozen
towers over the last 3 years. Only two were sold with pier pins.

It will be interesting to read the other replies you get to this question.
I will, no doubt, learn a few things.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com