[TowerTalk] Tower and Array

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower and Array
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 11:38:57 -0400
You should have seen how much water was trapped inside the boom of the 20
meter yagi that went underwater in the rains of the Fall of 97....by the
time we could put the beam up, yes the waters had receded at
W1CW/W1YL...but the rigidified boom had become home to a LOT water.

As we brought the beam over to the tram we could hear swishing, we hung it
from the tram and proceeded to put small weep holes in the underside of the
boom and then tilted the boom and,  whoa -  water just kept coming
out........a steady stream for over a half hour!

Fortunately the beams were built with all stainless steel hdwe.

Lesson learned - after you build it - don't store it ON THE GROUND....the
rising water table may shock you with what it engulfs - and leave you an
unpleasant reminder - good thing it doesn't freeze down here in Florida
where it is:

less than two weeks til the Florida QSO Party!

73, see you in the FQP

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

What's an FQP? The Florida Contest Group is pleased to announce the
rebirth of the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm