[TowerTalk] Real Estate Taxes on Amateur Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Real Estate Taxes on Amateur Towers
From: perring@texas.net (Bob Perring)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 10:10:46 -0500
At 10:36 4/18/98 -0500, W0SD wrote:

>I just had an upsetting day yesterday when our director of
equalization

>(assessor) told me she had to add my towers to the real estate tax
rolls.

>We do not have personal property tax in South Dakota.  It was repealed
at

>least 10 years ago.

>I told her my towers were personal property and was a hobby.  She said
they

>are anchored to the ground so they are considered real estate.

===============================>

Ed,

How can that be?

I presume a real estate license is required to sell what the state
defines as real estate.  A real estate license is not needed to buy or
sell towers, therefore I would suppose that the state has already defined
what IS real estate so as to require a real estate license for the
selling of same, and towers would not be included.

The tower will not stay with the sale of the land. It is just a component
part of a federally license radio station and will move to a  new
federally licensed operation should you ever sell your present land.

(Better do your research so as to be sure you get the answer you are
probing for before you pose her with the following questions:)

AA)

Does she include every satellite antenna installation as real estate?

BB)

Does she include every Rohn 25 TV tower as real estate?

Has she EVER included TV towers as real estate?

Has anyone in the history of the department ever included TV towers as
real etate? Do they do so now?

73,

N5RP

Bob Perring