[TowerTalk] Now--- What is the Best Wire for Radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Now--- What is the Best Wire for Radials
From: w7zrc@micron.net (Rod Greene)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 06:24:59 -0600
At 09:15 PM 4/22/1998 -0500, Tod Olson wrote:
>Here is a follow on question now that the answers to the
>question, "What is the best antenna wire?", have dropped off.
>
>Ladies and Gentlemen:
>
>In your opinion, what is the best choice for the wire to be used
>as radials for a vertical antenna.
>(a). Where the radials will be buried.

I have had best luck with solid wire rather than stranded. The
stranded variety wants to continue to coil and pops up when running
over it with the lawn mower.

>(b). Where the radials will lie on the surface of the ground.

Same as answer above.  I have used anything from 18 gauge to 10 gauge
copper. Never tried any aluminum or fencer wire.

>(c). Where the radials will be elevated (6" or more) above the
>surface of the ground.

Not much experience with this. Wouldn't think it would make much
difference what you used except it needs to be strong enough to withstand
wind damage, etc.