[TowerTalk] 402-CD vs. EF-240X

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 402-CD vs. EF-240X
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:13:08 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-27 20:24:06 EDT, k9rz@probe.net writes:

> Any comments, pro or con, comparing the Cushcraft 402-CD to the Force 12 EF-
> 240X?

       Is this a joke? Of course I have some comments.

      Without field testing them, I don't have a guess regarding the relative
gains of these antennas.

       402CD good points: 250 kHz bandwidth, good price/performance ratio,
performs well, the measurements are repeatible and accurate.

      402CD not-so-good points: flimsy hardware, split coax feed.

     EF-240X good points: good hardware, excellent boom-to-element and boom-
to-mast clamps.

     EF-240X not-so-good points: 100-130 kHz bandwidth - it's either phone or
cw*, linear loading measurements are a starting point (I haven't found them to
be repeatible at all), you have to tune the reflector and driven elements to
their respective resonant frequencies to get it to play effectively.

      * I understand that Tom is working on a 40M switch box to allow more
band excursion like the 75M antennas.

      There are literally thousands of the Cushcraft's being used.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC