[TowerTalk] To Ground or NOT to Ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] To Ground or NOT to Ground
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:04:41 -0400
where are W0UNs and W3LPLs comments........this is olde Towertalk turf
being covered (gnd Vs un gnd elements in yagis)

guess they both are QRL

In several go rounds on this topic a year or so ago, last I knew:

W0UN favored grounded elements for noise (static) reasons, if memory
serves....couple to the element top the boom to the mast and ultimately
ground so no electrostatic stuff could be on the element......if memory
serves

W3LPL favored insulated elements and was pushing phenolic element to boom
mounting because the elements were purer antennas and he had found that
stacks of antennas sometimes were troublesome - detuning each other, etc -
with uninsulated elements and booms but such problems disappeared when they
became ungorunded......he changed his umpteen million antennas to insulated
elements, AND insulated BOOMS if memory serves......

..they say that memory is the second thing to go, can't remember what the
first was.....happens with olde Florida types, ya know, sonny.

73,

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm