[TowerTalk] wire-plow for radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] wire-plow for radials
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:32:46 -0700 (PDT)
 Roger et al:
 Gaed, I hate being the ancient archivist....so I won't be.  However,
 about 20 or 25 years ago, an magazine article showed up in (I
 believe) the old Ham Radio Magazine) by W7IV....and the subject
 was "Building a 'jig' to attach to the back of your car of jeep,
 to dig trenches for ground wires."  All of my magazines are in
 storage boxes and not easily accessible, so I can't find it now.

 The article as I recall desdribed how to easily build a 'hook'
 device that attaches to a trailer hitch, or some such.  My most
 vivid memory is that, at the time, it seemed like a pretty nifty
 idea, and OM Harry stated that it saved him a significant amount
 of time.

 If anyone has a set of old Ham Radio magazines (note:  It may have
 bee QST as well.....just can't remember), do a check around the
 mid-1970's and you'll see that old article.

 73 & GL
 Dale  K5MM

At 08:30 PM 4/29/98 -0500, you wrote:

>>The problem with this great labor saving method is that someday you  may
>>wish to aerate or thatch your lawn and then the problems begin  snagging
>>your radials... visible or not.
>Oh, I hate to say this: Been there, done that,..or rather my wife did while
thatching one time: "Hey, where is this wire coming from that's in my rake."

>When I put in 1500 feet of wire for an invisible dog fence and a 1200 foot
lawn sprinkler system. I rented from Prime Rentals in Houston, a 3 wheeled
trencher where the wheel that did the trenching is mounted under the machine
between these 3 wheels. You set the depth to whatever you wanted from
scratching the dirt to maybe 6 inches. The trench is 2 inches wide.

>For the 'dog fence', it took 30 minutes to cut about a 1-2 inch trench,
1500 feet long. 'Course I did have to come along later and tuck in the wire
and then 'hoe in' some dirt.

Submissions:              towertalk@contesting.com Administrative requests:
towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com Problems:
owner-towertalk@contesting.com Search: