[TowerTalk] Wire for Radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wire for Radials
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:35:22 -0500
It has been interesting to read about the plows for installing radials.

I had an interesting expierence this spring when I took up my temporary
radials for 160 meters.  I had the previous year buried wire and used buried
wire for a season and a half.  Last fall after I had mowed the lawn for the
last time decided to install and augment my radial system for this year.
So, I installed radials on the ground.

While I was cleaning up a couple of weeks ago to get ready to mow, I decided
to check the integrity of the buried radials.  All of them had rusted
through about 12 feet from the ground point.

Now, the radial wire was steel electric fence wire.  So, I know I did a
boo-boo there my putting in steel wire.  I was really surprised to see it
rust through in less that 18 months.

So, if you are putting wire in the soil, what kind of wire are you
installing?  Copper clad?  Copper solid?  I would thing that any stranded
wire would be problematic.

Thanks for the info

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net