[TowerTalk] 90' vs. 120' on 20 meters?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 90' vs. 120' on 20 meters?
From: frohro@wwc.edu (Rob Frohne)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:51:55 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings Friends,

What have your experiences been on the difference between 90 feet of
height and 120 feet of height on 20 meters?  About five years ago
I lived about 2 blocks down the street and had my antenna at 120 feet.
The owners of the property I was using for my antenna decided to build
appartments there and so I took it down and moved.  In the mean time
I donated 30 feet of my tower to our College club station.  So this
time I only put up 90 feet of tower.  I have the same 4 element quad
on the tower, but it doesn't seem to work any where near as well
as it did on the 120 foot tower in the old QTH.  My methods of evaluation
have included a lot of listening and comparing reports with other
stations in the Pacific Northwest.  It used to be I was on the top
tier of signals, and very seldom did I have a weaker signal than
any of the others here.  Now however, my signals seem to be in the
middle layer or so, perhaps an S unit or more down from before.
The directivity of the antenna seems about the same, and these
results seem to be about uniform in all directions.  Is it my QTH,
or is it likely something wrong with the antenna, or is it the
other 30 feet I don't have?  What has your experience been?

Thanks & 73,

Rob