[TowerTalk] more - Precip static

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] more - Precip static
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 22:27:13 -0700
Malcolm Clark wrote:

> Wait a minute, aren't you're advocating two opposites to accomplish the
> same thing--round smooth balls and sharp pointed tips.  I'll go with > the
> sharp and pointed.  Eyeball protection is the only valid reason I know
> of for round balls on any antenna.  If a smooth round surface was the
> ideal way to bleed of a charge, wouldn't we see round lightning balls
> instead of sharp pointed lightning rods--or am I missing something?
>
> 73
> Malcolm KR4HP

I didn't design the antenna I referenced, no do I own one. I only said
what was on the diagram. And to refer to "static wick" as "sharp and
pointed" would merely indicate you've never seen one. They're, as I
said, "a really bad case of split ends...Sorta like a small paintbrush
that's been chewed on by a rat.

It sure also be kept in mind that the quad was first invented because
the
yagi in use was at such a high altitude, that the voltage present on the
ends virtually melted them.

And anyone who thinks a 2 or 3 element yagi monobander will whip a
properly designed and properly fed quad of the same number of elements
has not gone up against one.

Best

Ed