[TowerTalk] Cushcraft R7000 and MFJ-1796, MFJ-1798 verticles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft R7000 and MFJ-1796, MFJ-1798 verticles
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 08:46:53 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Sun, 03 May 1998 07:23:54 -0700

> At 11:21 PM -0700 5/2/98, Dan Baldwin wrote:

> Check out the Gap antennas as http://www.gapantenna.com/.  They are treated
> as vertical dipoles and, as such, are billed as requiring no grounds.

Any antenna mounted anywhere near earth needs a good ground system
covering the lossy earth, no matter what claims are made, to reduce
losses.  If you stick the high voltage end of an antenna near earth,
it generates a lot of loss.

I can't think of a single "no ground" antenna, including the Gap,
that isn't a notoriously poor performer. In a QST review of a
Gap, a small trap vertical with a modest ground blew it away. I had
the same experience here.

If the antenna is mounded far from earth it might be another story.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com