[TowerTalk] Cutting stranded cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cutting stranded cable
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 09:14:55 -0400 (EDT)
Dale Jones K5MM <ddjones@nas.com> said
> Regarding bolt cutters....my experience with them is that they are
> more like munchers and crunchers on multi-strand cable.  A different
> tool that you might consider for cutting EHS and aircraft cable is
> a "Cable Cutter".  Looks somewhat like a bolt cutter, but it is more
> of a slicer---like scissors.  They are pricey (like $75 to $100), but
> they really work well.  In the Northwest, the logging supply
> companies sell them.

I have a cable cutter and it works fine on the aircraft cable et al but you
gotta be careful on that Rohn guy wire..the one that does not go around
turnbuckles with a vise grip (and I have 500 feet of the stuff).  You need
to go ahead and wrap the wire with tape as recommended in previous e-mails.
I use my work glasses, too.

My cable cutter is over 3' long, red with black cutting area and the cut is
circular.  Got it from a hardware store that was converting to Ace for $75
(was $139 retail).

Dave K4JRB