[TowerTalk] Cushcraft Lightning Arrestor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft Lightning Arrestor
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 20:06:48 -0700
Yes.
Most of the energy in a lightning strike is at dc and that's what causes the
bulk of the damage. By dc blocking (which was a patent held by the PolyPhaser
Corp until this past November) you prevent the major culprit from getting
through.
Otherwise, you share energy with the input stage of your equipment. One major
manufacturer of lightning surge protectors (not dc blocked) actually has in
their
literature the statement to the effect that if your equipment can tolerate up
to 400
volts of surge voltage, their device will protect your equipment. Can ham gear
handle that? Doubtful.

Now that Poly's patent has expired, dc blocking will become de rigeuer in any
portector worthy of the name. Initially, I think Poly will still have an
advantage
because, like Amoco with unleaded gas before unleaded gas became the norm,
they don't have any learning curve to go through. Unfortunately, however, Poly's
management are now totally uninterested in the ham market although one
distributor,
W.R. Block in southern NJ (800 421 7170), will assist hams with product and
technical
help. Ron Block is a ham and also Roger Block's brother (Roger founded Poly).

73,
Bob Wanderer AA0CY
formerly Senior Applications Engineer for PolyPhaser Corp.
Now RF Systems Test Engineer for Thomas & Betts Communications