[TowerTalk] RE: Garage Door RFI Solutions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Garage Door RFI Solutions
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 09:19:34 -0600
Here are the Garage Door RFI suggestions I received.
Sorry for the delay.

de  Tom  N4KG

From: Raymond Dave-CSUS04 <csus04@lmpsil02.comm.mot.com>
To: n4kg@juno.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Garage Door RFI - Solution needed
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:04:44 -0500

Tom:

Usually, the wires that connect to the pushbutton switch on the wall are
the culprit.  They pick up the RF and bring it into the unit, causing it
to "false."
A .001 mmf cap across the leads at the unit usually solves the probblem

73. . . Dave
W0FLS

> ----------

Cured mine with a 10 Mh rf choke (J.W. Miller part #6306  About $3) on
each
line of the doorbell button wire right where the line attaches to the
door
opener.

You may want to remove the doorbell wire (used to open without the
remote)
from the unit and see if your problem is RF on the wire.

1500 watts out does not phase it now.

Good Luck.

        I had this problem and a .01 cap across the terminals did the
trick. What
happend is the wire that runs to the button that is used to close the
door
when you go into the house acts as an antenna. It catches your signal and
trips the door. After placing the .01 cap across these leads I have never
had another problem. My antenna is a TH7 that is at 65 feet directly ovet
the garage. I even fixed the one next door.

Good luck
John - N8RF

Ferrite beads on the leads going into the moter unit (from the wall
controls, outside key/pad, power cord, etc) has worked in my
neighborhood.  (They were there when I moved in and talking to a
neighbor (ex ham) found he was the source).  I run about 500
watts 160M - 10M without any problems (The HF beam is mounted
directly above the garage on a roof tower).

73

Bruce

Have you tried changing the codes?  Sometimes some codes are less
sensitive than others.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]