[TowerTalk] Re:

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re:
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 17:44:52 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-18 16:50:20 EDT, baker@EC.Rockwell.COM writes:

<< I know a number of locals who have crank up towers and they have them
 partially cranked up.  For example a 70 foot Hy-Gain cranked to 50 feet.
  Doing this they leave them set at this level all the time, regardless of
 weather conditions.  Is there a way to determine the gain in square footage
 of wind load at heights lower than the rated wind load at full height?
  Thinking along these same lines if a crank up is rated at 16 square feet
 at 60 MPH, then if I have 7 square feet on the tower what is the wind speed
 it should be able to handle (e.g. 70 MPH?)? >>

       There are 2 articles that you should read on this topic. The first is
by Roger Cox, WB0DGF, of Hy-Gain and the other is by Bruce Horn, WA7BNM. Both
cover crank-up towers and their ratings along with charts relating to wind and
derating the crank-ups. Roger's article involves Hy-Gain towers and Bruce does
the calculations for an 89 foot US Tower self-supporter.

     Both articles are available from Tower Tech for a buck each. Address is
Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC