[TowerTalk] Mighty Tower ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mighty Tower ?
From: du1oz@writeme.com (Edward Soriano, MD, DU1OZ, KB3CNO)
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 15:45:19 +0800
Hello!( Especially to Old Hams )

In 1990 the USAF after almost a decade of stay was forced to abandon
Clark Air Force Base (the largest US Military base in South East Asia)
and other small communication facilities in Pampangga, Philippines due
to the massive destruction brought by the erruption of Mount Pinatubo.
Lots of surplus items were auctioned including US Towers, antennas,
cables, test equipments, etc. Many Filipino hams benefited especially
those from DU3.

A year after 5 sets of 100 footer light tiltable, guyed Trilon tower
were sold to hams in DU1 for $250 each complete with all hardwares.
According to the man who dismantled it inside the base, the towers were
there since time in memorial. The old man said he used to see it there
ever since he was small(early 60s) holding long wire antennas.

Here is the description. The 100 foot tower consist of ten segments. No
rust. Very light. I can lift one segment with one finger. It has a very
light tiltable base. I scraped the paint to be able to read the embossed
letters on it. It says "TURBINE Company, NY" followed by 4 numbers below
it. All hardwares like turn buckles, clips, timbles were made by CROSBY.
NY stands for New York, I guess. I wonder if these two companies still
exist?

If the old man was telling the truth, this tower must be really that
strong to last for atleast 3 decades. One such tower is with me. Still
no rust. I wonder how long will it last. Will metal fatigue eventually
destroy it. Oh!! How I hope towers nowadays are made like before.

73s de Ed

Edward Soriano, M.D., DU1OZ, KB3CNO
Cavite City, Philippines
" The City Surrounded by Three Bays "