[TowerTalk] Rotating Side Mounts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotating Side Mounts
From: n5tj@hotmail.com (Jeff Steinman)
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 21:32:13 PDT
Looking at the feasibility of adding a sidemount to my crankup.
Currently have an A3 bolted to the leg fixed West. This antenna only
sees use during contests and is used for power splitting with my main
antenna on top or chasing stations on the second radio. I'd like to find
a way to get it from NW to SE, or 180 degrees. Old CDE44 ready for
action. Unfortunately the tower section of interest has a face width of
about 21 1/2". Plus you have the coax cables hanging down which are
another 2' off the tower (although I've figured a way around this
problem). In playing with some paper models it seems that a swinging
mount a.k.a. WD9IIX provides more rotation than using a sidearm to mount
the rotor out 2' from the tower. Even with the IIX type mount I can only
get about 90 degrees of rotation. I quickly figured out that a beam with
an even number of elements would be the best solution, giving me the 180
degrees or so.

Any ideas? No, not interested in a ring rotor - would have to buy the
BIG one to fit my tower face. A bit overkill for an A3! Not in love with
the A3 so would consider other antenna options.

73
Jeff  N5TJ