[TowerTalk] Guy wire anchor dead men pull out?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire anchor dead men pull out?
From: Hank.Lonberg@harrisgrp.com (Hank Lonberg)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 8:03 -0800
     Mr Harpole:

     You should be just fine if installed per the Rohn "Bible." Deadman
     anchors derive their capacity from the unit weight of the soil above
     them time the area of the anchor surface. I'm not counting the passive
     soil pressure in this description. If you are down 3 feet and have 4
     square feet of surface and your soil weighs about 110 pounds per cubic
     foot(approximate value of sand)  then you have about 4 x 3 x 110 =
     1320 pounds capacity. Remember this is a hypothetical example. I have
     not included the soil friction or passive pressure of the soil in this
     one. Rohn tables are based on worst case conditions and you should be
     ok if you follow.

     Hank Lonberg P.E. / KR7X