[TowerTalk] Phillystran and Lightning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran and Lightning
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 09:26:23 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Sat, 30 May 1998 11:17:30 -0700
> From:          Bill Hohnstein <k0ha@navix.net>

> NI6W said:
>
> > At the Polyphaser seminar I attended, guys broken up with
> > insulators was discussed. Since they don't offer a direct path to
> > earth, they will not become involved with the energy exchange.

I think that is pretty poor advice, if given as written above.

>   That's not necessarily true--lightning can easily arc over egg
> insulators.

Amen.

I can sit in the yard and watch and hear my tower's guy insulators
arc and spark across the gaps when the lightning is hitting miles
away!!

Every time there is a strike or cloud to cloud discharge all 180
insulators on the guy lines let out a big unified crack, even when
the hit is a long distance away from here!

I have a friend in South Carolina who HAD guy lines anchored to
his house. The lines were broken up with insulators. The lines became
unattached after a lightning strike, because the wood in the house
wall caught fire.

I've never seen concrete crack from a hit, but I've sure replaced
lots of guy insulators at BC stations from damage.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com