[TowerTalk] Galvi steel below ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Galvi steel below ground
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 20:09:10 -0700
EIA/TIA 222 F requires that all guy anchors and ground rods etc
be galvanized to prevent copper-galvanized corrosion problems which
allegedly led to tower failures. There is disagreement on how far apart
the two must be for no interaction to occur.

The main concern, I suggest, is the pH of the soil.
Acidic soil will destroy copper and
alkaline soil will do the same to galvanized.
The former soil predominates
in the eastern part of this country and
the latter soil ditto the western US.
I think *all* factors need to be taken