[TowerTalk] Crank up towers are SAFE!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank up towers are SAFE!
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:47:21 -0400 (EDT)
Crank up towers are safe.  They do require adequate maintenance.

I have had my Tristao 71 footer (now US Tower) for nearly 30 years at 4
locations in two states.  It has ridden through 5 tornadoes, 3 hurricanes
and many wind storms.

In those 29+ years I have replace the wire rope twice, one pully, and the
winch.  I have had a welder on my roof to fix a cross bar sheared off by a
prop pitch and have cleared out three batches of bees/wasps.  The lower wire
rope broke once bringing the system down, but my use of steel pipe stops
only let it drop about a foot.  Maybe I have been lucky or maybe Lou Tristao
knew how to properly engineer a crank up...I support the latter.

I use a crank up as I can work on my antennas from the roof.  I also have
the fold over mechanism if I ever want to move it again or restring it again.

I have used telephone poles and Rohn 25/45 too but the Tristao has been my
best investment in ham radio equipment!

73, Dave K4JRB