[TowerTalk] Guying crank up towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying crank up towers
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:31:56 -0400 (EDT)
At 11:47 AM 6/11/98 -0400, "Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net> wrote:
>Hmmm. This is a little hard to visualize. If I slip a pipe into the top of
>the bottom section and lower the tower to allow the first movable section to
>come to rest on the pipe, I can see that the wire rope will become slack.
>But then, what's holding up the higher sections?

That depends on the tower.  My Tristao causes each section to become slack.
Some towers don't have this feature.

>On my 71' U.S. Tower tubular (which can't be pinned this way), there are
>three sets of cables for four sections. The main cable is wound on the
>winch. One end goes under the first movable section above the bottom
section >and is used to raise that section. The other end is attached to the
top >section and serves as the positive pull-down cable. Each of the middle
two >sections has a separate cable attached to the section above it and to a
>pulley system at the top of the section below it. When the main cable lifts
>the first movable section, this configuration automatically raises the top
>two sections. Those two other cables would remain taut, even if tension was
>removed from the main cable. Is a similar arrangemnt used on the triangular
towers?

If you notice I said ask the manufacurer.  The tublar tower you have was
designed by Jim Wilson and no it cannot be pinned or guyed.  Lou Tristao
designed his towers to have the positive pull down at equal tautness (his
exact words).  At one meeting one person stood up and asked him if each
section should be so pinned.  He said no and its dangerous to try and pin
the other sections.  He tried using one cable for the entire tower (I think
Mosley sold them as Towermaster).  His design for postive pull down made for
easier gearing and cable replacement as well.  Again "ASK"!!!

Dave K4JRB