[TowerTalk] HAM-x Rotor Controls

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HAM-x Rotor Controls
From: bkmak@airmail.net (Bob Kmak)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:47:39 -0500
Guys,

    Thanks for all the replies to my HAM-2 controller question. N3RR
referred me to the FAQ on Norm's Rotor Service web page. This is what Norm
says:

14. Can I use a Ham-2 rotor control box with my T2X rotor? Are the Ham-2,
Ham-3, Ham-4 and T2X control boxes
interchangeable?

Yes, for the most part, all of the 8-wire rotors except for the TR-2 series
are interchangeable. You can use a TR-44 series 3; Ham-M
series 3, 4, or 5; CD-44/Ham-2; CD-44/Ham-3; Ham-4; or T2X control unit
with any of the listed rotors or vice versa. However, the
Ham-M and TR-44 series 1 and 2 rotors were wired differently and are not
interchangeable with anything else. So trying to use a series
1 or 2 control on a newer rotor will destroy the rotor pot instantly.

To be sure that you have one of the interchangeable controls, verify that
the motor start capacitor is across terminals 4 and 8. To verify
that the rotor is one of the interchangeable models, look for the 500-ohm
pot resistance across terminals 3 and 7. If your rotor and
control unit pass these inspections, they are interchangeable with others
which also pass.

73,

Bob   K5WO