[TowerTalk] Clicking? & F-12 antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Clicking? & F-12 antennas
From: leewells@lexmark.com (leewells@lexmark.com)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:58:09 -0400

I've noticed the exact same thing with my EF-515 & EF-420/240 antennas.
It usually happens as a storm front is approaching.  It even causes a little
static in my TV & stereo.  I haven't turned on the rig to see how bad the
noise is then.

I went out one night when a storm was approaching and I could actually see
arcs at the element to boom clamps.  Looks like the charge is arcing across
the PVC insulators of the F-12 antennas.

Is the arcing going to hurt anything???  Is there anyway to stop it??  It seems
like the antennas would be nearly un-useable with the kind of noise this
would generate.

        73
        --Lee - KT4ZX

<snip>