[TowerTalk] city council horror

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] city council horror
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:34:35 EDT
In a message dated 6/23/98 11:25:37 PM Central Daylight Time, dick@libelle.com
writes:

> This was still true eighteen months ago when I got the building permit for
>  my tower (http://www.qsl.net/w6old/antenna.html).  They are still
>  interested in ensuring safe construction practices, hence the plan review
>  and inspections, but they feel PRB-1 exempts hams from all other
>  "permission" issues.

Some more personal anecdotal information that probably would not stand up in
court today, but it worked for me. In 1966 I put up a 70' tower with a 5
element Hy-gain 20m long-john beam on a 50 x 100 city lot in Houston. My next
door neighbor sued us for erecting a structure without a building permit and
for violating his air space (the boom hung 2' over his property when it was
pointed east).

We argued that a structure was something that "housed something" and the tower
was more like a flag pole or utility pole. We also argued that you only own
the air space above your property as high as you build a structure. The judge
agreed. The neighbor was pissed.

Tom, K5RC/7

(Yes, history fans, Virginia City is home to the Comstock Lode, while Bonanza
was filmed 30 miles away at Incline Village, Lake Tahoe)