[TowerTalk] Re: is Phosphor Bronze really better?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: is Phosphor Bronze really better?
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 21:35:39 -0400 (EDT)
Phospher bronze was once easier to obtain than copper and was the ham
builder's material of choice for some applications that had to have a
degree of self-support.  Apparently, it was easy to obtain in rectangular
form in the 1920s.  I recall one of my father's emergency rigs being an
oscillator with a large multi-turn planar coil of phosphor bronze used as
both the output tank coil and the antenna.  About 1/6th the conductivity
of copper (9.1E6 vs 5.8E7) but about 7 times better than stainless steel,
which is commonly used in whips.  So its use in linear antenna wires does
not appear to be countra-indicated.

-73-

LB, W4RNL