[TowerTalk] [Fwd: Protected Land Area]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Protected Land Area]
From: babblarr@cwis.isu.edu (Larry Babb)
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 08:38:19 -0600
While I was C.E. at a local NBC affilliate, we had lightning come into
the building via a satellite dish.  It took out the satellite receiver,
an audio/video distribution amplifier, put pinholes in the coax every
foot or so, for the line that ran the length of the building to the news
department where the satellite feed was routed to the weather graphics
computer, and finally took out bunches of stuff in that computer.
Interestingly, the 3 meter dish was only about 50 feet from a well
grounded, 300 ft tower.  Bottom line, lightning doesn't follow well
established rules.  73 de larry