[TowerTalk] Managing information

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Managing information
From: tao@skypoint.com (Tod Olson)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:05:27 -0600
An interesting subject.

I have 3000+ photographs taken by my father over the past 80 years (he is
94) and also those he inherited from relatives that go back into the 1870's
(some are on metal media). I agreed to scan these photographs and save them
in electronic format. After the first scan I went out and purchased a Zip
Drive. After the first 50 scans I went out and purchased a CD-ROM writer. I
find that I can now scan at 'archival resolutions' (600x600 dpi) and get 50
or so photos on a single CD-ROM.

After a few hundred photos had been scanned it became clear that I needed to
have some system for finding the pictures that were in the archive. That has
led to keywords, catalogs, thumbnails, indices, etc.

Archiving information has become somewhat compulsive. I have begun to scan
in all of my equipment manuals and save them as Portable Document Files
(.pdf). Also, I have acquired the entire existing set of ARRL QST CD-ROMs
(1930-1997) which have an index system associated with them. Now I am
thinking of just how to 'capture' the useful information that flows by on
this reflector and others. It is insufficient, I think to simply save the
messages. One needs to build a "search" system to go with them or accept a
long personal scan of messages every time one goes to the archives.

I would be very interested in what others have done, are doing or plan to do
to 'get a handle' on all of the data that is flowing past us every day. If
this is an inappropriate topic for this reflector, perhaps those of us who
are interested in pursuing the topic by an e-mail exchange can simply swap
messages directly.

Tod, K0TO